The Primary Production Committee invites public submissions on the Fisheries Amendment Bill.
The bill would amend the Fisheries Act 1996. The amendments are intended to modernise and strengthen New Zealand’s fisheries management system, and incentivise sustainable commercial fishing practices. The bill would:
- amend commercial fishing rules related to the landing or returning of fish
- establish graduated offences and penalties regimes
- introduce a new defence for returning catch to sea where the return is necessary to save a marine mammal or protected species
- provide the Minister for Oceans and Fisheries with a new power to require, or allow for, fish to be returned
- permit the Minister for Oceans and Fisheries to establish pre-set decision rules for the purpose of setting and adjusting sustainability measures
- extend the observation of fishing activities.
The closing date for submissions is 11:59 PM Friday the 17th of June 2022.
For more information see the following websites:
MPI Discussion Document - Fisheries Amendment Bill FAQs
NZ Parliament Bills (Proposed Laws) - Fisheries Amendment Bill