Fisheries New Zealand is seeking your feedback on proposed amendments to regulations for digital monitoring and trawl technologies.
The amendments address issues such as the need to;
- protect sensitive information about precise fishing locations
- enable Fisheries New Zealand to respond to different operational circumstances, such as equipment failure at sea
- amend the timing of some reporting obligations to avoid, for example, any clash with operating fishing gear
- add and amend some offences and penalties
- enable Fisheries New Zealand to amend the terms and conditions of approved innovative trawl nets.
The consultation also includes a proposal to phase in electronic catch and position reporting for all fishers not currently using them.
For the consultation documents and further information click here.
Submissions close 5pm on Wednesday the 6th of June 2018.