Maritime New Zealand has launched the 40 Series Reform Project.
The ‘40 series’ of rules are being reviewed, with the focus on the domestic design, construction and equipment rules.
Rule parts 40F and 40G covering the design, construction and equipment of hovercraft and novel ships respectively will not be reviewed.
The overall aim of the project is to revise the rules to ensure they are clear, easy to understand and are proportionate and appropriate to the risk and to design a new framework for the rules that is easy to maintain and update.
The project has been split into five phases.
- Phase 1: Information Gathering and Consolidation (2018 – July 2019)
- Phase 2: Regulatory Framework Design and Technical Resolution (August 2019 – March 2020)
- Phase 3: Structure and Content Development (April 2020 – December 2021)
- Phase 4: Draft Approval and Consultation (January 2022 – September 2022)
- Phase 5: Rule Approval and Implementation (October 2022 – April 2023)
More information is available here.