Fisheries New Zealand seeks feedback on the Draft Hauraki Gulf Fisheries Plan.
The Revitalising the Gulf – Government action on the Sea Change Plan was released in 2021. It sets out a package of marine conservation and fisheries management actions to restore and protect the Hauraki Gulf for future generations.
One of these key actions is the development of a fisheries plan under section 11A of the Fisheries Act 1996.
The draft plan features a range of proposals, including:
- Removing bottom trawl and Danish seine fishing except within limited areas or "trawl corridors" (subject to further consultation by mid-2023).
- Improved management of scallop fisheries in the Hauraki Gulf.
- Restoring fisheries abundance at the stock level and within the Gulf through management strategies to address localised depletion.
- Reviewing intertidal harvesting controls.
- Supporting greater mana whenua and regional participation in fisheries management.
Feedback is due by 5 PM on Friday the 3rd of March 2023.
For more information see the Fisheries New Zealand website.
MPI Media Release - Have your say on the draft Hauraki Gulf Fisheries Plan